Monday, May 24, 2010

The entire album sends me back to different years.


I love looking through pictures. Pictures in albums, in frames, on facebook, on walls - anywhere! I love glancing through little rectangles that intangibly connects my brain to another time. It's like my eyes scouring through these photographs plugs me into that moment. I guess this is the writer in me, but I always find myself running through my senses and memories. I strive to remember the smells, sights, sounds of the moment. People say that all the time, the whole "go through the five senses" bit. But this is different because it's not just describing something off the top of your head. Looking through pictures makes me call on actual memories. The imagery is real. I love thinking about how amazingly vivid the moment was. For instance, I may not have realized it at the time the picture was taken, but that picture of the beach makes me think of the hours I spent sifting through powdery sand looking for seashells with my friend, drenched in saltwater sweat. It makes me think of the stiff sun-dried texture of my hair. Like seashore straw. The gulls didn't care that the sun was setting and it was dinner time, they squawked anyways.
I don't always realized it in the moment, but my life is poetry. Everyone's lives are poetry. We get caught up in the moment and sometimes fail to look at details. And that's okay, because you're supposed to live your life, not observe it. But that's why I like pictures. I can call upon the beauty of an afternoon a long time ago or an evening from last summer, or a birthday party when I was six and remember details that I couldn't put words to at the time. When you put words to the photographs though, to the memories, it sounds like music.

No comments:

Post a Comment