Monday, May 17, 2010

Track 8

Alright, so track 8 of my favorite CD is one of those songs that will just about move me to tears. When I play it in my car, it's not like I'm just listening to it anymore; it's like I am in the music, like I'm balancing myself between the notes. I listen to it a lot in my car, especially at night for some reason (more dramatic, I guess). One night when I got home, I was so moved by the song that I just had to try and write about how it felt when I listened to it. I knew instinctively that my words wouldn't be able to adequately describe track 8, but if I didn't try, there was a chance I'd just explode. Here's what happened:
"The music moves me.
I am entirely convinced that ir pushes mortality out of me
And that it strums my soul when I play it.
Sometimes I swear my soul flies out of my Body Shell
And something else grows inside.
It's bizarre and too much.
Sometimes it scares me,
Sometimes - if I let go - I can understand and almost enjoy the feeling.
Usually, in my car, I speed up for it.
But tonight, in a plum rain, I slowed down,
Just to see what happens.
The effect: Chaos.
My past, my dreams, distant fragrant joys, disappointments, knowledge, philosophy
exploded into storm clouds of greasy gears that either couldn't turn or spun out of control.
I was afraid of the incoherence.
Everything slipped through my hands before I could maneuver my thoughts.
I made myself let go.
Storm clouds of everything I've been, am, will be rolled through me.
Not coherent or chronological, but static and dusty.
It was like a machine that ran with no key or obvious destination.
Storm clouds
And Chaos.
When the track was over, I was overcome with the feeling of stillness.
It was like a fisherman in his home,
Trying to get reacquainted with company that doesn't rock all around you.
Stillness."
Well, that's what it did to me. I think we all have our track 8 songs. The songs, movies, books, quotes, pictures, artwork, people, pets, places that make us feel in touch with something deeper than what we usually portray. Your track 8 song is sacred to you and you may not even understand why. Here's to you, track 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment